G SCALE HOBBIES are Australian Agents for Roundhouse Engineering's Living Steam.
For further information and details of locos available see the ROUNDHOUSE ENGINEERING website.
For advice and assistance, a Roundhouse Catalogue, or to order LIVING STEAM please Contact Us.
|G SCALE HOBBIES can help bring your garden railway layout to life with Roundhouse Engineering's Living Steam locos.|
Precision built by craftsmen in the UK in SM32/SM45/G scale these locos are steam driven by a butane burner.
Some 12 locos in American, British and European outline are available, including the new "Darjeeling B Class", outlined below.
|Darjeeling 'B' Class|
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway is probably one of the most famous narrow gauge railways in the world.
Situated in India, this engineering masterpiece which rises a total of 6,850 feet over it's 50 mile length, was constructed between 1878 and 1881.
The railways main motive power was the well known class 'B' 0-4-0 well tank/saddle tank engines designed by Sharp Stewart & Co of Glasgow.
Between 1889 and 1929 the DHR purchased a total of 33 of this class of locomotive from Sharp Stewart, North British Locomotive Co and Baldwin Locomotive Works as well as building 3 in it's own workshops, and locomotives dating back to 1892 are still in use today.
The Roundhouse class 'B' is typical of the locomotives that are currently in operation on the railway and features a wealth of detail to augmen the legendary Roundhouse performance and reliability.
Technical specifications for the Darjeeling 'B' class.
- 0-4-0 outside framed chassis with two double acting slide valve cylinders operated by a simplified Walschaerts type valve gear.
- Internal gas firing using our 'FG' type burner.
- Controls fitted as standard are :- steam regulator, safety valve, pressure gauge, displacement lubricator, gas regulator and reversing gear.
- Water gauge and boiler top up system fitted as standard.
- The wheels are adjustable between 32mm and 45mm gauge.
- Dimensions are :- length 365mm, width 115mm, height 170mm, weight 3.5 Kg.
- Full radio control is available for both regulator and reversing valve gear.
- Colours available are Brunswick green, black, maroon or DHR blue. Standard
locomotive is unlined. Also available with insulated wheels.
Information courtesy of Roundhouse Engineering.